They say opposites attract. It was certainly true for the twoprotagonists in "The Duet."
- Gerrit Appledorn is a dairy farmer in the Dutch community of VanDalen, Washington. Joan Horton is a professor of musicology at theworld-famous Gaylord School of Music in New York.
- He is retired by doctor's orders because of a heart condition. Hisson now owns and operates the fourth generation family dairy farm.She is taking a one-year sabbatical in part to allow her son to livein her Long Island home while she is away. She is giving pianolessons to beginning students in Van Dalen.
- He is a member of the First Dutch Reformed Church. She is a memberof the Nazarene Church.
- He believes in predestination...God is responsible for whateverhappens and when it happens. She believes in choice...you reap whatyou show.
- The only thing they have in common is they are both widowed.
The story is interesting. However, the writing style is a littledifferent...rather clipped...matter-of-fact. I wonder if it is becausethe author is a man.